Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Walking in Good Works

For we are what he has made us, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand to be our way of life.
Ephesians 2:10

When I was growing up, we recited a prayer at the end of worship each week  that asked God, among other things, “to assist us with your grace, that we may . . . do all such good works as thou hast prepared for us to walk in.” As a small child, I loved those words, even though I couldn’t imagine exactly what walking in good works might look like.

As I’ve lived into that prayer, I’ve realized that good works aren’t so much events along the path of discipleship as they are the path itself. Scripture and prayer guide us. Worship draws our hearts to God. But good works form us.

As I act kindly, responding with caring to people’s needs becomes more natural, and I become kinder. As I give of my money and time, it hurts less to let go, and I become more generous. I may grit my teeth to be patient with someone, but I begin to grit them a shorter time, as God’s Spirit leads me to see myself in the other’s shoes.

I don’t put bumper stickers on my car. The only one that has ever tempted me reads, “Be patient. God isn’t through with me yet.” And the good works God gives me to walk in are how God continues to mold me.

God’s peace,

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment