Sunday, October 27, 2013

Transforming Learning

Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your minds, so that you may discern what is the will of God – what is good and acceptable and perfect.
Romans 12:2

As we are transformed by the Holy Spirit, Christians think differently. We think about different things, and we use a different framework for thinking. While it can be important to learn about the Bible and theology and, in my case, gardening, the point of learning is to be able to “discern what is the will of God – what is good and acceptable and perfect.”

Christians take learning to a different level by asking how it can enable us to become the people God has made us to be – and to do the particular things God calls us to do. (Yes, I know, sometimes, particularly in school, we have to learn things we can’t imagine will be of any use. And we may be right. Some studies only increase our patience and endurance.)

As my garden has grown in size and fruitfulness, I have learned a lot, but my purpose isn’t just to raise lots of great tomatoes (as good as those are). I learn and relearn things that transform me. Even if I do all the right things, the plant may not grow. Growth is up to God and the plant. But I can nurture. I can cooperate with God. I can be in awe of the complexity of how plants grow and the intricacy of God’s creation. I can experience how my life is related to all of life. I can, in some tiny, tiny way, become less of a drain on the planet’s food supply and more aware of those who don’t have a minimal diet. In knowing my limits and entering into what God is bringing forth from the ground, I find peace and joy that I take with me as a pastor.

What learning renews your mind and helps you grow into the will of God for you?

God's peace,

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment