Sunday, October 13, 2013

Cheering for Victory

As for me, I am already being poured out as a libation, and the time of my departure has come. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. From now on there is reserved for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will give me on that day, and not only to me but also to all who have longed for his appearing.
2 Timothy 4:6-8 

2 Timothy pictures Paul near the end of his life in a prison cell, awaiting execution – about to be “poured out” as a final offering of his life to Christ. He rejoices in his discipleship as if he has been a victorious athlete. He has “fought the good fight.” He has “finished the race.” He has “kept the faith.”

Yesterday with friends and family, I saw to some of the most exciting football I can remember. The players were giving it their all. They didn’t always succeed but not for lack of trying. As we watched them strain for excellence, we yelled with excitement when they moved the ball forward and with disappointment when they didn’t. We were not distracted.

It’s hard to imagine being as excited about following Jesus as those players were about their games? Could you or I possibly approach scripture with the concentration a kicker gives to the ball and goalposts?  

What about when we are in the audience? Can we cheer excitedly for someone who takes a step forward in discipleship or exhibits faithfulness in serving others?

Athletics can be a wonderful opportunity to push ourselves – or, more often, to watch others demonstrate the strength, grace and skill God has given them. It’s also a glorious image of what discipleship can look like.

God’s peace,

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment