Wednesday, November 13, 2013

The Power of Going Away

When God, who had set me apart before I was born and called me through his grace, was pleased to reveal his Son to me, so that I might proclaim him among the Gentiles, I did not confer with any human being, nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were already apostles before me, but I went away at once into Arabia, and afterwards I returned to Damascus.
Galatians 1:15-17

Paul writes to the Galatians that after he had his dramatic conversion to faith in Christ on the road to Damascus (Acts 9), he “went away at once” to Arabia. Acts records some events before his departure. Caught up in fervor for a sweeping, newly discovered truth, he provoked such opposition in the Damascus synagogues that the Christians there had to help him escape. During a brief stay in Jerusalem, where he again made “bold” proclamation, the Greeks plotted murder, and the Christians “sent Paul off.” Paul doesn’t say how long he was away, but he came back to engage in perhaps the most fruitful ministry in history.

“Going away,” even, maybe especially, when we are most convinced of the rightness and righteousness of our intentions can give us a chance to gain perspective and let God show us what we should do and how. “Away” can mean a moment of prayer in the midst of other people to center our hearts. It may mean leaving others for a longer period of thought and prayer. “Away time” with an attentive heart gives God the opportunity to awaken love in our hearts for those with whom we hope to share what is important to us – and humility in how we do so.

If the great Paul “went away,” I know it’s important for me.

God’s peace,

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment