Monday, January 27, 2014

We Can't Imagine

John 1:49 Nathanael replied, “Rabbi, you are the Son of God! You are the King of Israel!” 
John 1:49

Nathanael had not been all that excited to meet Jesus. When Philip announced he had met the Messiah and he was Jesus from Nazareth, Nathanael  growled, “Can anything good come out of Nazareth?” But after a few moments in Jesus’ presence, he proclaimed Jesus Son of God and King of Israel. He was right, but there was so much he didn’t know. He didn’t know yet that this impressive man would ask him to leave home. He didn’t know this King would end up on a Cross. He couldn’t have imagined encountering Jesus after he rose from the dead. He couldn’t have imagined being a leader of the early Church or even that there would be one.

There is so much we don’t know about what will happen to us if we commit to follow Jesus. I didn’t expect to be a pastor, and I couldn’t have imagined the places and people I would serve after I became one. Sometimes my path has been joyous. Sometimes it’s been hard. It’s always been worth it. But, if I’m honest with myself, I have to admit that I have no idea where following Jesus will take me in the next year or even the next day. (How many times have I said, "Didn't see that coming when I got up this morning?")

If we commit to follow Jesus, we at least have to leave the door open to going places and meeting people we can’t imagine – and might not choose. What possibilities for the path ahead excite you? Which would make you fearful? What preconceived notions of what God will or won’t do with us do we have to lay aside? Maybe it was a good thing Nathanael didn’t know all that was coming. Maybe it’s a good thing we don’t.

God’s peace,

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment