Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Christ's Peace

John 14:26 - 27 The Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything, and remind you of all that I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not let them be afraid. 

A new beginning, any change really, troubles our hearts and gives fear an entryway. What if this happens or that doesn’t happen? What if I can’t meet someone else’s standards or my own?


When changes challenge us, the world offers ways to respond – fear, defensiveness, anger, shame and surrender among them. Jesus promises that the Holy Spirit will remind us of all Christ has said to us, including a pledge that we will have peace as we let the Spirit move in us.

This Peace of Christ is not just the absence of struggle or upset. Christ’s Peace, if we will receive it, calms our hearts and replaces fear with hope for what God will bring forth. A few verses later, Jesus tells those who follow him, “Remain in me, and I will remain in you.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment